Click this first post below for more details...

What's a Joker, and you're going to do what?!

The MX5 Cobra is out of the shed, so room for my next project 👍 MX5 Cobra project (see NZ Japanese Cobra blog) is all done bar the painting (soon hopefully). So, it makes way for my next project... Electric Conversion of a Classic Scooter So, I was toying with the idea of getting an electric bicycle to ride to work (on nice weather days 😃), but... wow, aren't they expensive for what you get! I then looked at electric scooters (moped scooters). For not much more than the cost of an electric bicyle you can get an electric scooter, but not a very nice looking one (like a Vespa or similar classic scooter). Then I remembered that before I decided to do the MX5 Cobra I liked the idea of doing an electric car conversion - so, light bulb moment - let's do an electric scooter conversion! A bit of research later to see how feasible it would be, estimating likely costs, etc, and the project was a go. But, what scooter should I convert? Obviously, the name "Vespa&qu

Project Complete

Electric conversion of Honda Joker Replica completed

And... we're done. Looking pretty flash!

And, runs great too! Nice and stable on the road. Maximum speed is 48km/h, which I think is governed by the motor controller (as I couldn't get it to go over this, even on slight down-hills).


Side view of Honda Joker Replica electric scooterHonda Joker Replica moped electric conversion

Well when I say it's done - it's not quite. I still need to collect the lock mechanism for the seat latch from Whangamata (hence the cable sticking out the left side by the seat). Also, the motor controller gets a bit hot when you run flat out (at 48km/h) for a few kms, so I'm going to fit a fan and vent to get some airflow past it.


Front view of Honda Joker Replica electric mopedRear view of converted Honda Joker Replica
Also, I've ordered an LED headlight bulb, but it's still on its way from China. I've already fitted LED bulbs in all of the other lights.

Electric converted Honda Joker Replica moped

And here's a video of it going...


Haha, look at that smile 😁 - well pleased.


Well, that's it. If you have any questions about the build, please do sing out.



Comments

  1. This is very cool...thanks for posting. I have a broken down Joker I would like to restore to electric. Have u learned anything nee? What would u have done different?
    What is the easiest way for me to do this, I have 0 mechanical/electrical skills

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Yes, it turned out pretty good.
      One thing I'd do different would be to place the controller outside so it gets air to keep cool. I mounted it under the seat, but had to add fans to get a bit of airflow to keep the controller's temperature down.
      Not sure that one way would be easier than another. Pretty much you need a hub motor, controller, batteries, wiring, etc. Best way is to Google, investigate & learn, plan, design and then get stuck into it :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment